Tuesday 10 July 2012

Big Lou's @ Lou's Diner

Hello burger lovers,

today's review is about Lou's Diner in Consdorf, in Eastern Luxembourg, not far from Echternach. I didn't know this place and I would never have found it without my blog followers who recommended it to me. Cheers!

I've got lots of mails by people stating this as the best burger joint in Luxembourg. Since that is something I've heard quite a lot during the past few months, I wasn't really that excited.  

Well, I've had a nice surprise. Lou's Diner is the first real American style Diner I've seen in Luxembourg. I know there are other places, like 33 by Eric (doesn't exist anymore) or Bagels & Burgers, who try something in that direction but are just not that authentic. 

Among a wide range of burgers I chose the special, Big Lou's Burger, which has a 200gr patty of Angus beef for 7.50€ and fries for 1.50€. You have to know that I ordered the most expensive burger Lou´s menu has to offer, the regular ones start as low as 3€. Given this price, I was already a fan before even trying the burgers.

  
Evaluation:

After a considerably long wait, the four of us got our burgers. They all looked really tasty. I was so hungry that I started right away, and forgot to take a picture (that's why the burger looks a bit wrecked on the photo below, my apologies for that). Anyway, there is only one word to describe this burger. Wow! The buns, made by a local bakery, were really tasty, and even if there was a lot of sauce and moisture on the burger, they didn't get soaked. The beef, American Angus beef, had a great taste and wasn't dry at all. It's been quite a time since I've been to the States, but the good burgers over there had exactly the same taste. I must admit, I forgot that taste, but it all came back in a bite, just like Proust experiences his whole childhood memories when biting into a madeleine cake in Swann´s Way. That's how Marshall Ericsson from How I met your Mother must have felt in the episode "The Best Burger in New York".

Big Lou's is served with a barbecue sauce. I am usually not a big fan of barbecue sauces, but this one was really tasty. Actually the toppings were all really good. There were two layers of cheese on the burger, one layer of cheddar and an additional layer of Swiss cheese. The lettuce was very crisp and tasted excellent. During my whole quest I didn't have one burger which was as good as this one. In my opinion it just had the perfect balance. The only drop of bitterness were the fries. I am very particular when it comes to fries. These ones were too big for my taste. Nevertheless, they weren't bad in any way.

Lou's Diner was a very nice experience. We've had a very warm welcome. I've come to know that it's a pretty new burger joint (march 2012), but I am impressed. I can only recommend this diner to everyone living in that area, visiting Echternach or everybody who is willing to travel far for a good burger.

Keep up the good work! 

The weighted rating is 8.05


 /k

Lou's Diner
33, rue Burgkapp (Camping La Pinède)
6211 Consdorf
Tél.: 26 78 41 38












1 comment:

  1. Hi there - have really enjoyed your blog over the past few months and have been eager to try some of your recommendations, so i made the trek out to the camping in Consdorf to try out this "hidden gem" ! On arrival and you are right the welcome is excellent (also on departure) and very friendly ... but this was all about the burger ... so my opinion on the Lou Burger ... you are correct it is a tasty burger ... but the star of this burger is the onions ... the bun is also very good ... but meat itself is average .. it is of a similar style to the burgers you get at many of the football games around Lux and at the Christmas market at that large stall in the centre of place d'armes! As I said it was a tasty burger alright but the best in Luxembourg ... not by a long shot in my opinion (but we all know this is all subjective anyway so ...) ! Keep up the good Work ! :)

    ReplyDelete